[Todos FBMC] Seminario en el DF - Mark Barber: Lunes 11/12, 14hs, Aula Federman, 1er piso, Pab. I

Augusto Roncaglia augusto en df.uba.ar
Mar Dic 5 08:48:09 ART 2017

SEMINARIO EN EL DEPARTAMENTO DE FÍSICA EXACTAS - UBA

                        En el Aula FEDERMAN, 1er piso, Pab. I,

                        Lunes 11/12, 14hs:

                        MARK BARBER

                        Max Planck Institute

*Uniaxial Stress Technique and Investigations into Correlated Electron
Systems*

Response to uniaxial distortion can be a powerful probe of the electronic
properties of a solid. However, it is not a very commonly applied
technique, chiefly because of the technical challenges of obtaining good
strain homogeneity while applying significant pressures. In typical
uniaxial pressure measurements, thin and wide samples are clamped between
two anvils. Our approach uses a different, easier technique: cutting the
sample into a long, narrow bar, and securing its two ends with epoxy across
a piezoelectric driven vice.
In this talk I will introduce our new technique, presenting its unique
capabilities, before moving on to describe results obtained on an
unconventional superconductor Sr2RuO4.
The superconducting order parameter of Sr2RuO4 has long been speculated to
be odd-parity. Of interest to us though is the close proximity of one of
its three Fermi surfaces to a Van Hove singularity (VHs). Our results
strongly suggest that we have been able to traverse the VHs, inducing a
topological Lifshitz transition. Tc is enhanced by a factor ~2.3 and
measurements of the normal state properties show that quasiparticle
scattering is increased across all the bands and in all directions.
If time permits I will also mention further on going measurements tuning
magnetic materials and further integration of the uniaxial stress technique
with other experimental probes.