[Todos FBMC] HOY: Coloquios DF - Frédéric van Wijland, 14hs, Aula Seminario, 2do piso, Pab. I

Augusto Roncaglia augusto en df.uba.ar
Jue Nov 2 07:51:13 ART 2017

COLOQUIOS DEL DEPARTAMENTO DE FÍSICA EXACTAS - UBA

              En el Aula Seminario, 2do piso, Pab. I,

              Jueves 2/11, 14hs:

              FRÉDÉRIC VAN WIJLAND

              Université Paris Diderot (Paris 7)

*Dynamical Phase Transitions*

The machinery of statistical mechanics allows us to understand the
existence of phase transitions among equilibrium states. My purpose is to
discuss the ways and means to quantify and characterize the possibility of
various dynamical regimes -or phases- in classical systems. While the
mathematical origin of these methods dates back to the 1970's, it is only
in the last 15 years that they have been implemented on actual physical
systems. Connections will be made with the theory of quantum phase
transitions. I will illustrate these ideas on a system of simple random
walkers on a line. This will take us from the ferromagnetic XXZ chain at
finite magnetization to a simple mechanical pendulum.