[Todos FBMC] Coloquios DF - Gabriele De Chiara (QUB), Jueves 9/11, 14hs, Aula Seminario, 2do piso, Pab. I

Augusto Roncaglia augusto en df.uba.ar
Lun Nov 6 07:47:24 ART 2017

COLOQUIOS DEL DEPARTAMENTO DE FÍSICA EXACTAS - UBA

              En el Aula Seminario, 2do piso, Pab. I,

              Jueves 9/11, 14hs:

              GABRIELE DE CHIARA

              Queen's University Belfast

*Quantum Thermodynamics*

The study of out-of-equilibrium thermodynamics has received a significant
thrust thanks to the experimental advances in the control and manipulation
of microscopic systems. Work, an ubiquitous concept in traditional
thermodynamics, assumes in this context the role of a stochastic variable
whose fluctuations can be ingeniously related to equilibrium properties, as
is the case of the celebrated Jarzynski equality [1]. This formalism can be
extended to quantum mechanics where work is measured through repeated
measurements of the system energy. The current challenges in quantum
thermodynamics include the design of heat engines and refrigerators that
exploit the quantum coherence of the working substance.

In this colloquium, I will revise these concepts and discuss feasible
experimental schemes to directly measure work in cold atomic setups. The
first scheme allows one to measure the work done on an atomic BEC in a
double well potential when the atomic self-interaction is varied. I will
discuss strategies based on optimal control techniques to reduce the
irreversible work production [2]. The second scheme allows to measure work
in a system of atoms in optical lattices interacting with the optical field
of a multimode cavity [3].